Are you one of the many FB or IG users who ended up researching online “What is Vanish Mode on Facebook Messenger & Instagram: How to turn on?” ever since the Vanish Mode feature has been initially rolled out? Are you still unsure what Vanish Mode is on Facebook or unsure if you’d want to enable Vanish Mode on Instagram?
While the Vanish Mode isn’t really a new concept – as we’ve been first introduced to Snapchat’s snaps, Facebook and Instagram’s Vanish Mode has still taken the virtual world by storm with the more accessible approach they’ve taken. After all, social media users seem to like the idea of privacy, and exclusivity – both of which can be provided by the Vanish Mode feature.
What is Vanish Mode?
What is Vanish Mode on Messenger? Is it the same with Instagram DM’s vanish mode? Is Vanish Mode on Messenger a must-use feature? Is the Vanish Mode on chats actually safer and more secure?
As its name implies, the Vanish Mode is an exclusive setting that’s designed to automatically make messages vanish. So if per se, you’re well aware that you tend to be trigger happy especially when caught in the moment, then this could be a great feature for you. The Vanish Mode enables you to send anything you have in mind, allowing you to enjoy the spur of the moment without having to worry about digital footprints that could link back to you or to that specific state.
One of the main purposes of the Vanish Mode is to give users full control of their chat messaging experiences. With safety and choice in mind, this has been designed to allow users to choose which messages can be kept and which must be automatically deleted right after being sent.
This feature is somehow similar to the secret conversation feature of Facebook Messenger. The main difference is that the messages sent while on Vanish Mode are set to automatically disappear as soon as “seen”; in the secret convo, on the other hand, you get to set a time frame. Plus, secret convo creates a separate chat thread while Vanish Mode doesn’t. Hence, this new feature is a great way to exchange quick messages without generating unnecessary chat windows, or without clogging up your regular conversation threads.
How Does Vanish Mode Work?
What does Vanish Mode do on Instagram or Facebook? How to turn on Vanish Mode and how does it actually work? Does Vanish Mode notify the other person about any action taken within the convo? Would the person on the other line know if the Vanish Mode Instagram/Facebook is enabled?
The programming and the interface of Vanish Mode are pretty much straightforward. This feature can be activated by simply swiping up while within a specific chat conversation. Aside from immediately taking down sent messages as soon as received/seen by the recipient, the Vanish Mode triggers an alert when a screenshot of the chat is taken by any of the parties involved. And since the Vanish Mode has been created with safety and privacy in mind, users are free to block and/or report someone who makes them feel uncomfortable or unsafe.
The Vanish Mode has been implemented by Meta Platforms, Inc. (previously known as Facebook, Inc.) on both FB Messenger and Instagram DMs (in select countries). This feature offers end-to-end encryption within chat conversations, providing the privacy and safety that the social media users well-deserved. Since by default, the Vanish Mode is set to auto-vanish anything sent within a chat conversation where this feature is enabled, members get to share in-the-moment messages or more intimate photos/videos without the fear of those content coming back to haunt you sometime in the future.
In a nutshell, here’s how the Vanish Mode works.
- The Vanish Mode feature can be activated and deactivated just by swiping up.
- Only friends you’ve previously chatted with or currently connected to can use Vanish Mode with you in a chat/DM.
- This feature only works on one-on-one chat conversations; group chats (GCs) aren’t supported.
- The person you’re chatting with will not be notified that you’ve activated Vanish Mode on Messenger.
- It’s an optional and an opt-in feature – you get to decide when to activate it or with whom to enter Vanish Mode chat.
- Sent chats, photos, videos, files, GIFs, memes, or any content automatically disappears upon viewing; no timer or any additional feature has to be set.
- A notification is triggered to both users if one of them takes a screenshot of the chat window while the Vanish Mode is enabled.
- Unlike FB Messenger’s secret conversation, no separate thread will be created.
- Whenever a conversation makes you feel unsafe or uncomfortable, you can simply block and/or report the user/s. By doing so, all vanish texts will be included in the report for up to one hour after you’ve seen the messages.
Kind Of Messages That Can Be Sent In Vanish Mode
When in vanish mode, you can chat how you usually would in a regular chatbox. It’s just that in vanish mode, sent content is disappearing and Messenger screenshots are triggering alerts.
Messages sent on vanish mode-enabled chat conversations disappear as soon as viewed or as soon as the chat box is closed. This specific feature, however, doesn’t assure complete secrecy or privacy as the recipient can always screenshot, copy, or download the content. Though an alert will be triggered, it doesn’t actually prevent the vanishing messages from being duplicated.
Nevertheless, the Vanish Mode doesn’t redirect you to a different page or create a separate chat window. Plus, you can send anything you have in mind – actually more freedom than how you would in a regular conversation. When interacting with other people or engaging in a regular chat conversation, you can send the following while on Facebook Messenger or Instagram vanish mode.
- Audio Files
- Other Content Files
Guide to Use Vanish Mode
Can anyone activate/utilize the vanish mode? Are there ways to restore after Facebook or Instagram messages disappear? Does Messenger notify when you screenshot a conversation?
First of all, you have to take note that the Vanish Mode only works on mobile devices; this feature isn’t available on computers. It can, however, be activated or utilized by any active Facebook Messenger or Instagram user.
Here’s how to use Vanish Mode in Messenger.
- Launch the FB Messenger app from your iOS or Android device.
- Open or start a chat conversation with anyone you’re connected with on Facebook.
- Swipe up while within the specific chatbox.
- Wait until the prompt for Vanish Mode appears.
- An empty Vanish Mode screen will replace the previous chat thread.
- A pop-up of information about Vanish Mode will show up if it’s your first time activating this feature.
- Start sending messages, pictures, GIFs, and any other content that you could usually send in a normal conversation.
Instagram Vanish Mode works similarly to Facebook Vanish Mode or Google Incognito Mode. Any sent content while this feature is activated isn’t captured or recorded. Here’s how to use Vanish Mode in Instagram direct messages.
- Launch the Instagram app from your iOS or Android device.
- Open the DM window by tapping on the messenger icon.
- Open or start a chat conversation with anyone you’re connected with on Instagram.
- Swipe up while within the specific chat box until the Vanish Mode prompt appears and activates.
How To Turn Off Vanish Mode on Messenger?
Sure, the Vanish Mode isn’t a new concept; however, the accessibility offered by Facebook and Instagram is something fresh, something different. Any active user can easily switch between regular chat and vanish mode chat.
By default, this feature is turned off. You can get Vanish Mode easily activated by simply swiping up while the specific conversation box is opened. Enabling this mode doesn’t trigger any notification to the recipient; however, when you capture screenshots, they’ll be notified.
Turning off Vanish Mode is as easy as turning it on – you could swipe up from the bottom of the chat window or simply leave the chatbox.