Uh oh! You accidentally deleted that perfect picture from your vacation. Your outfit was looking good and the tropical sun was lighting you just right. You didn’t even have time to upload it. You expected the compliments (and jealousy) to come rolling in once it hit the net. Is your prized photo lost forever? Not necessarily. You’ll just need some assistance in collecting the deleted pictures. Today we’ll go over the necessary steps to take to get deleted photos back on Android.
Deleted, Now What?
First thing, STOP using your smartphone. A deleted file isn’t cast into oblivion. The good news is that it can be recovered with the right program. The bad news is that your Android device treats deleted files as if they were free space, overwriting it with new data as you use the phone. That’s why it’s best to use your phone as little as possible when you want to recover deleted photos. You’ll lower your chances of your photos getting overwritten. So if you’ve deleted photos you want to recover, keep the phone as inactive as you can.
Backup & Sync
If you haven’t done so already, you can backup your photos to your Google Photo Library. Turning on backup and sync will allow you to recover a photo deleted from the phone by storing them on Google. To turn on Backup & Sync:
- Open the Google Photos app.
- Sign in to your Google Account.
- At the top, tap Menu.
- Select Settings.
- Select Back up & sync.
- Tap “Back up & sync” on or off.
Keep in mind, this will affect all the apps you use, including Google Drive. Delete the Google Photos app and it will not turn Back up & Sync off. It is better to keep it off if you’ve run out of internal storage.
To verify your photos are backed up, you:
- Open the Google Photos app .
- Sign in to your Google Account.
- Tap Photos.
- At the top, you’ll see if your photos are backed up, or if it’s still waiting to back up.
Recover Recently Deleted From Trash
Check your trash to see if there are deleted photos there. Google photos keeps deleted photos for 60 days.
- Open the Google Photos app on your device.
- Tap Menu at the top left.
- Click Trash.
- Touch and hold the photo or video you want to restore.
- Tap Restore at the bottom.
The photo or video will be back, in your phone’s gallery app, in your Google Photos library, or whatever albums it was in. If the item is not in your trash, it may be permanently deleted.
Recover Using Google Drive
You can recover lost data using Google Drive the same as you would from the trash. Remember, photos will only appear here if you’ve selected to have them beforehand.
- Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Log into Google drive.
- You will see all the uploaded or backed up photos.
- You can now select the pictures that you want back and then download the files from there.
Recover Using Dropbox
If you’ve chosen to have your photos go to Dropbox, you’ll be able to recover them up 30 days from the Dropbox trash folder once they’ve been deleted. So to get back those from Dropbox, follow the steps:
- First, login to Dropbox desktop
- Now go to files
- Go to Deleted files
- Select the photos that you want to recover
Recover Using PhoneSpector
Especially for the Android, sometimes you need help from a third party program to retrieve deleted photos. PhoneSpector is a data recovery / cell phone monitoring program fully compatible with your Android device. Recovery programs make it easy to find files once lost forever. Once the program is installed, you’ll have access to a user dashboard that displays pictures, text messages, and other information from the target phone. The process is easy. Just:
- Use the OTA (over-the-air) method to download and install the app. During installation enter the telephone number of the phone you want to recover from.
- Activate the app by entering the license key which is provided immediately following payment.
- From your cell phone, laptop or internet enabled device, login to your account.
- View files from monitored phone.
For a more detailed PhoneSpector Android installation guide, click here. (Hint: It also works for iPhone too!)
- Turn on Backup & Sync.
- STOP using the phone if you’ve deleted something.
- Backup to multiple locations (Drive, Dropbox, SD card).
- Data recovery programs are a wise choice.
Don’t panic if you’ve deleted the most Instagram worthy picture you’ve ever taken. There are options to go with. The file will not be lost completely and can be recovered right back to your device if you take the right steps. Plan ahead if you have pictures or files on your phone you wish to recover. It’s worth reemphasizing to stop using your phone as soon as you delete something by mistake. Even keeping the phone and data on will overwrite files. Data recovery programs are a great option if something that wasn’t backed up is deleted. Follow the right steps and it will ensure you’ll be posting that vacation pic in no time, even if you accidentally pressed delete.