There are numerous reasons why a person may want to block social media platforms on their computer, tablet, or mobile device. For example, to block out social media so they can instead focus on their work. Or perhaps a parent may want to prevent their child from using Facebook, Instagram, and other platforms. No matter the reason, there are numerous ways to block social media sites on various devices.
On Google Chrome, users are able to block specific websites from being accessed using the browser extension website blocker, Block Site. To use it, follow the directions below.
- Visit https://bit.ly/2Wq4m8d.
- Click Add To Chrome, and then Add Extension.
- Tap on the shield icon in the top right corner of your browser → Edit block sites list.
- Copy and paste the social media platform URL and press the + icon next to it.
iOS devices (Mac, iPhone, iPad) come with built-in settings that allow someone to block certain websites from being visited on Safari.
- Open up Settings → Screen Time → Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- Tap on Content Restrictions → Web Content.
- Under Never Allow, add the social media URLs which you want to block on Safari.
On Android Devices:
The only way you can block social media apps on Android is by using an app blocker application. However, there are ways to lessen and limit your social media use on Android devices.
Depending on your Android operating system, you may have access to the Focus mode feature. It allows any cell phone user to block apps of their choosing during certain times, such as at night or during work. To use it, follow the directions below.
- Go to Settings → Digital Wellbeing and parental controls.
- Under Ways to disconnect, select Work time, Me time, or Add.
- Select Start and edit the apps which you can only use during your selected times.
- Click Start to begin focusing.
By receiving less social media notifications, you may be less tempted to visit the platforms. To block app notifications on an Android device:
- Navigate to Settings.
- Scroll down and select Apps.
- Select the app which you want to block notifications from.
- Tap on Notifications, and press the toggle button next to Show notifications to turn it off.
On iOS Devices:
To block apps on iOS devices like an iPad and iPhone, you can use the Screen Time feature. It is meant to be used for parental controls, but it can also be used to block apps in general too. In order to do this, you need to:
- Go to Settings → Screen Time → Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- Enter your Screen Time passcode. If you haven’t created one, you will be prompted to do so.
- Press Allowed Apps, and select the app you want to use.
App Blocker Applications:
This app enables parents to regulate a child’s phone use. They can control the apps they use, view their phone activity, lock their device, and much more.
Want to completely cut social media out of your life? Cold Turkey will help you quit cold turkey on any websites and applications you use. If you don’t want to completely stop, you can just block distractions for certain hours of the day.
This app is pretty straightforward. It allows users to temporarily block applications and/or notifications. If you have an upcoming event or meeting and don’t want to be disturbed, you can set a place and time you want to block apps.
Those are the most popular ways to block social media apps on Chrome, Safari, and iOS and Android devices. If you have various types of devices, you can always just use an app blocker that is compatible with all of them.
To learn more about social media and other informational topics, check out our articles on Best Cell Phone Spy Apps.
Recent Post: Guide To Stopping Unwanted Facebook Friend Requests